Community coronavirus support and volunteering
- Coronavirus: How to help safely (GOV.UK).
- Covid-19 Luton Community Action Group on Facebook.
- Luton Youth and Families COVID-19 Response Group at Youthscape
- Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK UK-wide support network for local groups organising in their communities – with a searchable map.
- BBC Three Counties Radio ‘Make a Difference’ sharing details of help and support in this area, and find your area for BBC’s ‘Make a Difference’ across the UK.
- Volunteering through Luton Council Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Coronavirus – I want to volunteer”.
- NHS Volunteer Responders – GoodSAM.
- Luton Foodbank 01582 725 838.
- NHS Blood Donation coronavirus Sign up to donate.
- NHS Organ Donation Sign up to donate.
- L&D Hospital Charity Team (on JustGiving).
- NHS Charities COVID-19 Appeal (on JustGiving) for NHS Charities Together.
- ScrubHub volunteers making scrubs.
- Clap for our Carers every Thursday at 8pm #ClapForOurCarers, #ClapForCarers, #ClapForOurKeyWorkers, #ClapForKeyWorkers.
- Luton Borough Council coronavirus for updates across all services. 01582 546 000.
- e-Luton email Sign up for Luton Council’s e-Luton emails.
- Dunstable Town Council coronavirus statement of response 23 March 2020.
- Houghton Regis Town Council coronavirus
Government coronavirus information – GOV.UK
- GOV.UK coronavirus
- Sign up for GOV.UK emails for changes to national information.
- Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can’t do
- Stay at home: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection
- Guidance on social distancing for everyone in the UK
- Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person
- Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable from COVID-19
Health and coronavirus
If you believe you might have coronavirus: To protect others, do not go to a GP, pharmacy or hospital (NHS).
- NHS coronavirus information
- NHS 111 Online – Covid-19 Use the online service. Only use the phone helpline if you can’t get through to NHS Online.
- Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Currently, the websites for both Luton Dunstable University Hospital and Bedford Hospital redirect to the Trust’s website, where information is given for each of them.
- Pharmacies: Small businesses may not have a coronavirus webpage, but larger ones likely will – Boots coronavirus, Kamsons Pharmacy coronavirus, Lloyds Pharmacy coronavirus, Superdrug coronavirus, Well Pharmacy coronavirus. In Northern Ireland and Scotland only: Gordons Chemists coronavirus.
- WHO coronavirus myth busters (World Health Organization).
- Full Fact UK independent fact-checking charity.
Mental health and emotional support
The amount of information and the speed of change may be difficult for some people to manage. These resources may help you with calming anxiety and improving the quality of your day.
- Total Wellbeing Luton coronavirus
- Every Mind Matters (NHS).
- Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health (BBC News).
- Looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak (Mental Health Foundation).
- Coronavirus and your wellbeing (Mind).
- #Coronanxiety support and resources (Anxiety UK).
- Coronavirus and MindOut services 01273 234839 times: variable hours, and webchat (MindOut LGBTQ mental health service).
- OCD and Coronavirus Top Tips (OCD-UK).
- Coronavirus and mental illness (Rethink Mental Illness).
- Coronavirus and mental health free 0808 802 5544 times: Monday–Friday 09.30–16:00 Parents Helpline (YoungMinds).
Helplines and support organisations
If you are in an emergency, call 999.
- Childline free 0800 1111.
- Samaritans free 116 123 times: anytime. During the coronavirus outbreak, if you’re worried about your mental health or someone else.
- LGBT Switchboard 0300 330 0630 times: daily 10:00–22:00.
- Coronavirus: support for victims of domestic abuse (GOV.UK).
- Rape Crisis England & Wales free 08088 029 999 times: daily 12:00–14:30 and 19:00–21:30. Find a Rape Crisis Centre.
- Refuge free 0808 2000 247 times: anytime. National Domestic Abuse Helpline.
- Women’s Aid coronavirus Safety advice for survivors.
- Men’s Advice Line free 0808 8010327 times: Monday–Friday 09:00–17:00 with Monday and Wednesday through to 20:00, and webchat anytimeWednesday, Thursday and Friday 10:00–11:00 and 15:00–16:00.
- Galop – The LGBT+ anti-violence charity free 0800 999 5428 times: 10:00–17:00 National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline.
- Bedfordshire Domestic Abuse Partnership
- Surviving Economic Abuse
- Respect free 0808 802 4040 times: Monday–Friday 09:00–17:00, and webchat times: Wednesday–Friday 10:00–11:00 and 15:00–16:00. “Are you hurting the ones you love?”
- We Are With You free, confidential support with alcohol, drugs or mental health in a local service or webchat.
- DrinkAware free 0300 123 1110 Drinkline or webchat DrinkChat.
- Release Legal Emergency & Drugs Service coronavirus 020 7324 2989. Charity providing free non-judgmental, specialist advice and information to the public and professionals on issues related to drug use and to drug laws.
- COVID-19 Harm Reduction for People Who Use Drugs on Talking Drugs, platform providing news and analysis on drug policy, harm reduction and related issues around the world. Managed by Release.
- COVID-19 Considerations For People who Use Drugs on Talking Drugs.
- BeGambleAware free 0808 8020 133 times: anytime. National Gambling Helpline.
- Shelter homelessness support.
- Family Lives free 0808 800 2222. Supporting adults, teens and children in families who are struggling.
- Relate coronavirus relationship support, offering telephone, webchat and webcam counselling.
- The Mix support service for young people, under 25s, from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs, via online, social and mobile. 0808 808 4994.
- Age UK coronavirus free 0800 678 1602 times: 8:00–19:00.
- The Silver Line free 0800 4 70 80 90 times: anytime. For older people across the UK.
- What to do when someone dies: step by step (GOV.UK).
- Cruse Bereavement Care free 0808 808 1677.
- Coronavirus: dealing with bereavement and grief (Cruse).
Talking with children
- Talking to children about feelings (NHS).
- Talking to your child about coronavirus (YoungMinds).
- Talking to your children about coronavirus (Mental Health Foundation).
- Children’s guide to coronavirus The guide aims to answer children’s questions about coronavirus, tell children how to stay safe and protect other people and how to help them make the best of their time at home. (Children’s Commissioner’s Office).
- Citizens Advice 0844 245 1285 and If you can’t pay your bills because of coronavirus
- StepChange Debt Charity
- Citizens Advice: Universal Credit and Citizens Advice: Coronavirus – check what benefits you can get
- DWP: Universal Credit and DWP: Universal Credit coronavirus and claimimg benefits (Department for Work & Pensions, GOV.UK).
- My Money Steps (authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority).
- Money Advice Service coronavirus free 0800 138 7777 times: Monday–Friday, 8:00–18:00, Typetalk: 18001 0800 915 4622, and webchat. (service from MaPs).
Transport and travel
- DVLA coronavirus (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency).
- Bike: Bike repair shops are open as an essential service (GOV.UK).
- Bus and coach: Arriva coronavirus, Centrebus coronavirus, Grant Palmer coronavirus, National Express coronavirus, Stagecoach coronavirus, Uno coronavirus.
- Rail: National Rail Enquiries coronavirus. Live local rail station arrivals and departures: Luton Parkway, Luton Town, Leagrave.
- TfL: Transport for London coronavirus
- Airport: London Luton Airport coronavirus
- International travel: Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice (GOV.UK).
- General: Travel advice: coronavirus (GOV.UK).
- UK passports: Passports (GOV.UK).
- UK visas: Coronavirus advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents (GOV.UK).
- Call Bedfordshire Police on 101 and always call 999 in an emergency.
- Report a crime to Bedfordshire Police
- Fraud: Action Fraud online anytime, or 0300 123 2040 (Police.uk).
- Trading standards: Luton Council Trading Standards Service to report price hikes.
- BBC Three Counties Radio and BBC local radio stations in England
- Heart Beds, Bucks & Herts Radio
- Heart Bedford Radio
- Inspire FM
- Luton Today coronavirus
- Dunstable Today coronavirus
- Luton Herald and Post newspaper publication announcement (25 March 2020).
- XR Luton (Facebook)
- XR Bedford (Facebook)
- XR Bedfordshire (Facebook)
- XR North Herts (Facebook)
- XR Stevenage (Facebook)
- XR Hertfordshire (Facebook)
- XR St Albans (Facebook)
- XR Dacorum (Facebook)
- XR Tring (Facebook)
- XR Tring Youth (Instagram)
- XR Milton Keynes (Facebook)
- XR UK (Facebook)
- XR branches map UK and worldwide.
- XR Global Support – COVID-19 Resources Online chat and Zoom spaces, plus other resources.
Links and contents of the links may change at any time without our knowledge. They are provided in good faith for information. Luton XR is not responsible for the use made of the links or contents linked to, nor for the outcomes of use of these.Back to menu